December 18, 2008

Dance Card Box

My 7 y.o. son decided he wanted to try dance lessons this fall. He wanted hip-hop but I didn't think I could stand the attitude! I would have loved for him to try ballroom but I knew he wouldn't go for that so we compromised on acrobatics; sort of dance and gymnastics combined. He has already been to gymnastics classes so he agreed. His teacher is a lovely bubbly lady who truly loves to teach kids. She deserved a gift to say good bye as we are not continuing next session (Too hard to drag everyone out in the cold and snow. My disability makes me very sensitive to even short amounts of time in the cold.) I had just ordered a Just Rite Stampers Monogram set; thankfully it arrived in time to make monogrammed cards for her. I decided to put them in a dance box fronthandmade box. I will post the cards shortly. This also works for Ways to Use It 193 - Pearls The stamps are from CTMH. I wanted the images to look soft so I used grey ink, I wasn't sure if that was a good idea wondering if I should use brown instead to go with the brown of the box. I decided to colour the image anyway and see what I thought. I decided I liked it just fine.
dance box ballerina
Thank heavens considering I am new to Copic markers and it took me half an hour to colour the ballerina alone! I added some bling to her; the tiara is coloured with sparkly pink gel pen. The necklace is created with several stitches worth of silver thread for the chain and a heat set rhinestone for the pendant. The tutu is accented with Perfect Medium and rose gold Pearl Ex.
dance box shoes
The shoes were a challenge. They had shadows around them so I coloured them in. When I cut the image out, I couldn't decide where to trim; it didn't look right leaving the shadows on, so I trimmed close to the image instead. The paper is folded and the Nestabilities die was placed just over the fold to create a tag with two pages. I added the tag with a short thank you message; it felt weird to put a thank you card in with a gift of cards!
dance box belly band
This box uses the stretchy belly band technique to hold the ribbon on. This keeps the receiver from struggling to retie a bow or replace the ribbon and allows you to decorate the bow! For instructions, click HERE!
dance box side
For a final accent, I stamped Dance on each side. This was tricky because I had already made the box! I made it work though! The images are adhered with foam dots, the ribbon has a half pearl in the center. Last but not least, the Copic colours I used are in the last photo.

RECIPE
Paper:
pink pirouette, pretty in pink and close to cocoa cardstock; ballet paper-Karen Foster
dance box copicInk: regal rose, going grey, close to cocoa
Stamps: CTMH Dancing Dreams
Accessories: silver stretchy cord, white organza ribbon, foam dots, half back pearl, Nestabilities, Copic markers
All supplies by SU! unless otherwise noted.

2 comments:

Karen Wilson said...

Wow, Rebecca!! That's MY ballerina stamp?? LOL! I didn't know she could look so good! I love your idea and I bet the dance teacher loved it to! Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
That box is gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see the cards. I might have to order that set from you as a gift for my sister. It's so beautiful! R