December 10, 2008

Snowman Gift Card Holder

I seriously hated the project that used to be in this space so I am doing a new gift card project  right over the old one. This one is so much better. I was hesitant at first to use a card stock colour I pretty much never touch, Taken with Teal, but I decided to try the Colour Challenge 196 this week on Splitcoast Stampers. The other colours were Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red and white.
snow giftcard 2

This gift card holder style has been floating around the blog world for a while. Basically you take a simple long card fold, glue the sides and add a tag inside to hold a gift card. I random stamped the pocket for the gift card holder in baja breeze with the same colour ink. It measures 4.25 x 11" scored at 5.5". If you want to stamp both sides, I recommend you do it first, before adhering. (A post on Random Stamping will follow in a couple days.)
snow giftcard1 Use red line or other very sticky adhesive to close the sides and form a pocket. Be sure to leave the short end open! Make your tag. I think mine measured about 2.75x4". Be sure it will fit into your pocket before decorating just in case your glue took up more width than you thought! (Also do not start your tag decorations  until you continue to read the directions!) Even though I had measured and left extra ease, it is still a snug fit. The more layers the tag has, the more 'ease' you will need. snow giftcard3

Before adhering your layers, be sure to use a slit punch or Basic Grey notching tool to create little flaps to hold your gift card. I suppose you could trace something and use an X-acto knife if you don't have either. Since you do not want your gift card flaps to show on the decorated side of your tag, plan around these slits! Do not put adhesive on them from the other side either. It's all in the planning folks. If it sounds hard, it isn't, you just have to do everything in the right order.The photo below shows the 'gift card' in place on the back of the tag. Yeah, I know I isn't really a gift card! Miscut Nestie shape to the rescue!
giftcard snowman copicsI stamped the white panel with the snowmen using Adirondack ink  and coloured them in with Copics, colours I used are in the photo. Once I finished everything else, I realized the pocket was way too plain. I dressed it up with a medallion made from teal and white CS, adhered with foam dots, cut with Nestabilities. The star is from the snowman set, on riding hood red CS stamped with the same colour ink and cut out. The sentiment is also from the snowman set, stamped in the same black ink. Finally I dressed up the tag with an eyelet and fibre. TIP: if you are going to use a really large eyelet, plan to leave extra space on your tag beyond your layers or make sure your top layer leaves enough space so your stamped image isn't going to be partially covered by the eyelet.

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE: Paper: Baja breeze, white, taken with teal and riding hood red CS Stamps: Snowflakes, It's Snow Time Ink: Adirondack pitch black, baja breeze, riding hood red Accessories: Copic markers, foam dots, Nestabilities, fibre-unknown, jumbo eyelet-We R Memory Keepers, corner rounder punch

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love it and it came out just perfect.. can ya see it framed as a keepsake .. ty for sharing.
lablady2007@juno.com