January 25, 2009

Beautiful Butterflies

Yep, been shopping again! (at Michael's - with coupon of course!) I bought myself this gorgeous butterfly punch. Funny thing about it, it doesn't punch completely from the paper; two little bits need to be cut before fully removing it from the surrounding paper. Now I suppose that would be cool if you wanted a row of butterflies along the edge of your paper like a border with the wings flexed upwards... BUT YOU CAN'T!!! The geniuses who developed this punch put the little tabs at the tips of the wings! If they were at the head and the end of the body, you could bend the wings up while still keeping it with the paper. So if you want a bunch of butterflies punched out in a row fine but I don't know why you would with their little wings grounded and all. So why the little tabs? No idea.
beautiful butterflies

Sorry the photo is a bit shadowy, the photo with the flash was a bit over-exposed, this one  rendered  truer colours.(Reminder to self: Get lessons on new, cool Canon Rebel SLR camera!)

No big mystery about how to make this one. The butterflies are painted with pearl white Lumiere that SU! used to carry. I haven't beautiful butterflies2used it in ages!! But when I wanted a subtle bit of bling, and since I don't have any Shimmerz, I went with it and I think it turned out great, exactly how I wanted it. You can see it most on the  butterfly at the top of the card. I started with shiny embroidery floss through the buttons but it wasn't quite right. Then I looked through the box of embroidery stuff I just brought up from my basement craft room (I used to craft down there but the baby can't play there so gradually almost the whole kit and caboodle has been brought upstairs to a 'front room' we almost never used. Much better light!). I found hand-dyed silk ribbon from the days when I embroidered with silk ribbon. I used bits of that to tie through the ribbons. The ribbon tails look a bit like butterfly wings don't you think? The upper butterfly is adhered to the lower with regular SU! two-way glue just in the center. I wasn't sure it would hold, but it is doing fine so far and I tested them!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
Flourishes by Autumn Leaves
Ink: pink pirouette
Paper: shimmery white, pale plum, perfect plum, pink pirouette, pretty in pink CS
Accessories: Martha Stewart butterfly punch, Quickutz triple flower die, Cuttlebug, pearls and silk ribbon-UK, foam dots-Jody Morrow. All products by SU! unless otherwise noted.

2 comments:

Jessica Diedrich said...

OK, other than for the OBVIOUS reasons (lol!) I have to say that I think this is my new FAVORITE Rebecca card! WOW! It's absolutely beautiful! Love it!!!

Janna said...

Rebecca this is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the dimension on the butterflies you created and the bling and pearls are perfect!! A truly exceptional card!

Smiles,
Janna