July 29, 2011

Doodle Pantry-Wild Rose Shabby Bookmark

I am a huge fan of Laurie's lovely realistic flowers! Isn't this wild rose gorgeous? I coloured it right after the last release but it sat on my desk because my house has been a zoo! More about that later...

wild rose bookmark

I used a music background on this bookmark then added some Venetian lace I bought on Etsy and a paper tape I've had for eons. I couldn't believe that it sat on my shelf for years but still wasn't faded. YEAH! I had already chosen the sage mat for my image so I was thrilled how well the greens matched. The lace was very white so I shabbied it up with Distress ink. I also sponged all the edges with Distress ink.

The image itself was coloured with Copics of course! The background was airbrushed in before I started knowing that I would be going over those areas with a slightly peachy pink anyway, the colours are compatible and the yellow pale enough that it didn't show. You can remove light colours with your colourless blender if you wish before starting. Another option for airbrushed backgrounds is to use a mask. After printing the image on cardstock, simply print again on copy paper. You can get a removable glue stick by 3M or Scotch that you simply apply, then allow to dry for one minute and voila! (not walla) instant sticky note paper! Make sure you cut out every little area though as missed areas are very hard to fudge! Ask me how I know...!

As for the chaos in my house, we had a flood 2.5 weeks ago. My toilet was stuck with ... well, you don't really need or want to know that… and my little son flushed it anyway. It seemed like it was OK, the water rose but not over the edge. I watched it for a few seconds then left the bathroom. I went upstairs for about 5 minutes then came downstairs again to a noise that almost stopped my heart. The toilet was running! We had fixed it not long ago so I figured it was fine. Uh, uh, not fine. I opened the door to dirty water everywhere! I sent my 10 yo. down to get towels to clean it all up and he says, "Mommy, it's raining in the basement!" Oh, $%^&!

2 weeks, one disaster clean up company, one insurance company, 2 insurance adjusters,  2 duct cleaning guys, one furnace repairman, 2 HEPA filters, 5 drying fans, 3 torn up floors one way too touchy-feely carpet salesman and one completely gutted bathroom later, we are still waiting for final insurance evaluation. I have doors, a toilet (wrapped in plastic) and a pedestal sink in my front hall. Normally not having a main floor bathroom wouldn't be too big a deal as I have a huge bladder but I'm pregnant! I’m really tired of going upstairs all the time. Anyway, I'll live! So if the blog has been too quiet lately, I apologize. Been a bit busy and going to bed earlier than normal too because of being pregnant and because the kids are up early, raring to go because it is summer. I hope your summer is going much, much better!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Image:
Doodle Pantry
Stamps: music BG-SU!
Ink: Distress Antique Linen, Vintage Photo
Paper: Bookmark-Hero Arts, sage CS-SU!, white CS-Taylored Expressions
Accessories: grommet-WRMK, seam binding ribbon-Masterstroke, Tape-stash, lace-Etsy, oval Nesties, Copics R10, 20,22,24, Y30, E08, G21, 24, YG63, 67

13 comments:

Robbie said...

Oh, my! What issues you've been dealing with! I hope it will get straightened out really soon. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. Think of the "travel" to the bathroom as good exercise. Love your bookmark!

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is a beauty, Rebecca. Hope things are soon settled and back to normal very soon.

Jan Hunnicutt said...

OH my... I hope things are getting easier at your house :) Your bookmark is absolutely fabulous!

Glenda Atkins said...

Congratulations on the pending newcomer! You are truly blessed.

Sorry about the cleanup problems, it really isn't fun, I know I've had two toilits bust on me:)

Love the bookmark, great job on the wild rose!

Heide said...

Oh dear, what a mess! Hope you get everything together soon and some day you will look back and have a chuckle about this, not in the near future maybe when the children go off to college! LOL.
Your book mark is colored fantastically. Love the lace.

Lorie said...

The bookmark is absolutely beautiful! I'm so sorry about your bathroom problems. What a pain in the you know what...lol!

Patti J said...

Wow - beautiful job!!! Congratulations!!!! Thanks for sharing...hugs!

auntbeespickles said...

Oh My Word! This is just beautiful! wow, what wonderful work you do! Keep it up girl!
Hugs, Sarah

Karen Howard said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Love the paper and lace.

Kathy W. said...

Beautiful Rose Rebecca!! Love the lace =)

Robbie said...

OH My! This is just gorgeous. BReathtakingly beautiful. The coloring of the image and lace...wow! Hope things get better out your way soon.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous! I'd be too busy staring at my bookmark to care about the book - LOL!

Shannon said...

Really really love the lace on this one - such a sweet touch!