July 17, 2012

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday Roll the Die Challenge

I don’t usually do the Make It Monday PTI challenges but this one really spoke to me. You have to use a die as in dice, not a paper cutting die, to help you choose what products, stamps and sketch to use! I LOVE a good challenge!

PTI die challenge

You can check out the challenge here PTI Roll the Die Challenge. My work sheets are below. I used an iPhone app to ‘roll the die’ and circled each element as I rolled. I decided to photograph them so you’d know I didn’t cheat! I ended up working with: horizontal layout, sketch 2, Hibiscus Burst, Raspberry Fizz, white and black; Tiny Treats:Valentine, BB: Hearts and twine. I was thrilled by everything except the sketch, yikes! and having to make it horizontal, which as you’ll read below, I forgot as I created.

PTI die challenge note1

I have to admit, I made a few mistakes. I nipped the top off one of my white cardstock circles but I didn’t redo it as I knew it would be hidden under the ribbon. But, when I stamped and positioned it, I forgot I was supposed to use a horizontal layout! I was already finished when I realized so I turned the cupcake and sentiment circles and the heart button. But oops, now the hearts are sideways and I can’t turn it, A-because the little flaw would show and B-the adhesive I used to stick the ribbon is pretty heavy duty. I think I’d even have a hard time removing it to put in a new circle!

PTI die challenge note2

I also would have flipped the sketch right to left if had I planned it from the beginning. I really like any notched element like the ribbon to point towards the right. Is that weird? Is that because I am right handed? Because we read right to left? To be honest, I think I’ll flip it back. Everything worked out so well except that single, annoying element I forgot. I feel like this challenge whupped my butt! You may have noticed that my pink ink doesn’t look quite right. I assure you that it looks fine IRL!

Enjoy, Rebecca

RECIPE
Stamps:
BB:Hearts, Bitty Background Blocks, Tiny Treats: Valentine
Ink: pink-SU!, Memento black, Archival ink
Paper: Raspberry Fizz, Hibiscus Burst, white, black CS
Accessories: button twine, buttons, hibiscus burst ribbon-SU!, Nesties circles, dk pink ribbon-stash, foam dots-Jody Morrow, Copics

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great job you did on this card. I thought it was kind of a tough layout but not for you.

Jann Gray said...

Love how you used all the challenge elements....and I do think you made the best of a horizontal version of a sketch that is visually stronger vertically...I really like it! I am with you - I tend to put my ribbon tails on the right - I guess because I think they point at the side where the card recipient is going to open the card (but that could just be something I made up in my head! LOL)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Nancy Penir said...

Drew the same layout, still working on mine, only vertical. It's a hard one. Yours is great! I like everything you did, but I think I like your colors the best!

carol (krillsister) said...

That layout is one of the haRDER ONE. yOU DID A GREAT JOB. Love those colors.